Wednesday, May 03, 2006

New houses are like living in isolation


This morning my little girl told me she didn't want to go to school, and
could she "please please please stay home?" Hmm. Other than explaining to
her the implications of leaving a four year old home alone, I told her how
her poor Mommy had to go to work, how we all have to do things we don't
like, and to think of her and draw her pictures while she is at school
today. She had such a sad, dejected look, I really wanted to just call in
sick and take her to the playground.

But, we are in the new house, and still don't know our neighbours. (Her old
best friend is half across the city, in school I might add), and I know that
after one hour she'll want another kid to play with. They are all at
daycare.

This is the disadvantage to houses, or at least, until you know which houses
near you have kids. In the townhouse, I had 4 kids in the unit beside me,
one across the way, six behind and one beside. That doesn't include all the
friends that come over. Summer had roving bands of kids, almost in the same
age group, that wandered around our cul-de-sac, and there was always someone
outside to play with. My biggest fear was her being abducted or playing in
the derelict playground nearby, so I did what any other mom would, and would
bribe them to play in or near my yard, so I could see them and know my
daughter was safe. I got to know all the parents, and made it known that my
child was not allowed to roam free unless there was 100% supervision. I
think I was probably the only parent that did this, and some of the parents
sent older siblings out to do their job for them. I was always outside in
nice weather anyway, and the older kids were more than happy to drop off the
youngsters near were I was to do their own thing. That cul-de-sac is where
Drew learned to ride her bike and join the circling 'baby biker gang' and
where she would play ball or draw with chalk on the basketball court near
our home. Where she learned to walk, dug in the the mud, and spied through
the fence on the little girl next door.

This new house will have just as many if not more experiences. But the
priority is to find where the kids are. (currently the ones next to us have
girls too old for drew to be interested in, and boys have cooties so she
won't consider them yet). The disadvantage to moving in a winter with bad
snow, is none of the kids were outside for us to meet them. There is a
different feeling about walking up to a neighbour of a townhouse, and
introducing yourself, than to someone across a street. In that, you feel as
if you are a threat somehow, like the neighbour is about to bolt and run for
safety, were the forced proximity of townhouse neighbours makes you more
friendlier.

At the end of this month, Drew will stop going to the same daycare she has
attended since I went back to work, and she was one. She will start a new
'Before/After school care' program, in June, to HOPEFULLY meet new kids in
our area, and get her used to the idea that in September, she will be
attending kindergarden. In a way I am excited for her, to have this
opportunity to meet kids, but TERRIFIED, because this is a school I don't
know, people I don't know, children I don't know and she is becoming less
and less a child everyday and tomorrow may darn well go off to college and I
am going to have a heart attack right here and now if I think about it any
more.

1 Comments:

Anonymous OHV said...

Well, despite the fact that your daughter is a smart cookie, unless she all of a sudden turns into some sort of crazy genius child prodigy, I think you can rest assured she isn't going anywhere for at least another 12 - 15 years. :)

5/03/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home